Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dracula is way cooler than Edward!

5 posters

Go down

Dracula is way cooler than Edward! Empty Dracula is way cooler than Edward!

Post by samanthaschaitberger Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:34 pm

After we talked about Twilight in the last class, it made me start wondering why trends become popular in the first place. I have liked/loved/obsessed over many popular trends in my life (including but not limited to: Hanson, Spice Girls (had all the Barbies), Furbies (so creepy), plaid, etc.) It's strange to think of how and why some things become so incredibly popular while others fall flat. A year or two ago, High School Musical was all the rage. Though it's still certainly popular, it seems as though this new vampire trend has taken over. Twilight's one of the most popular franchises since Harry Potter, True Blood is one of the most popular HBO shows ever, and the Vampire Diaries is getting good reviews and ratings despite it's tough competition. So what will be next? And how can anyone ever really gauge whether or not something is going to be a huge success? Is there a formula to becoming a pop icon or is it pure luck? High School Musical and Twilight, though of completely different nature, both featured young, attractive heartthrobs, and concepts that many can easily relate to (besides the whole singing out every single thought and being a vampire/werewolf thing....) So what made them so popular? Is it the yearning for the unattainable world and love that these films show that make people so drawn to them? I'm really just wondering peoples opinions because I can't really figure it out. I personally have no desire to have a vampire boyfriend or to sing out "Hello! How are you?" instead of just saying it. I also am curious as to what you all think about trends "cycling" back around. This can be seen in clothing trends like bell bottoms (not as popular now but still) and even film trends like with Twilight. Dracula was incredibly sucessful when it came out in the 30's (the film, not the novel) and it shares a lot of the same characteristics as Twilight (sex appeal, love/troubled relationship, fantasy). What other trends have come and gone and come back around?

I'll leave you with these two videos! The first is basically a parody about what life would be like if Twilight and High School Musical were one film. The second is the MTV Twilight parody.

LASTLY, I hope everyone is okay from the flooding (AKA GSU CANCEL SCHOOL PLEASE!!). I'm building an ark if you guys want to hop on.