Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"It's cool... YouTube made me popular"

3 posters

Go down

"It's cool... YouTube made me popular" Empty "It's cool... YouTube made me popular"

Post by samanthaschaitberger Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:27 pm

I think it's really interesting how youtube creates a new sort of celebrity. But more so, I think it's interesting to see how youtube is affecting our younger generation. It seems that every 12 year old has their own youtube page with videos of them talking or dancing or lip syncing to their fave songs. I wonder if this is actually detrimental to their actual social lives. Do you think kids get made fun of at school because of their youtube videos? Or what about getting made fun of by strangers on youtube? Also, do you think kids become dependent on their internet lives/Youtube so much so that they avoid actual interactions with kids in the real world? I've always wondered if the internet in general is causing the younger generations to become more and more socially awkward and hermit-like. When my parents were kids, a lot of parents would push their kids outside to go play and say, "Come home when it gets dark". Now, I think it's almost easier for parents to give their kids a computer and video games or World Of Warcraft and leave them be. Is this the parents fault or is it just the way technology is developing? And how can parents monitor their kids "internet lives" without being too intrusive and without making their kids angry?

While the videos below are comical to watch, the more I think about the more I realize that these kids may actually get bullied because of it. It's easy to laugh at the ridiculous stuff people say on youtube, but at the end of the day, a lot of these people are just awkward teenagers (and even pre-teens) who want to be more mature than their emotions/intellect will allow and may not understand what they're actually saying. PS- Read some of the comments people post under the videos. Harsh. DO PARENTS KNOW THIS IS GOING ON?!