Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does objectivity exist?

Go down

Does objectivity exist? Empty Does objectivity exist?

Post by samanthaschaitberger Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

I was just thinking about this, but in our world, do you think objectivity exists in films/on television/in the news or do you think humans are just naturally subjective. I've been thinking about this a lot because I'm in a documentary film class where we've basically discovered that every single documentary we've watched has a "double meaning". Documentaries (in theory) are supposed to be actual, real-life events about a person/place/occasion/whatever. By definition, they're supposed to be accurate portrayals of the truth. They're merely catching the "truth" on camera. However, that's clearly not true. Even if a documentarian just stands there with the camera, the camera itself changes things. And once the film is edited, it's "reality" changes entirely. This goes for news stories and reality television as well. Can we ever actually SEE reality in the media or will it always be an edited and often times, fabricated version of what actually happened? Just like in class when we were discussing news reporters picking a certain "type" of person to appear on camera. That person is real, what they're saying is real, but is it objective? Shouldn't a news program technically interview every single witness to be "objective/fair"? I know that's not possible with time constraints but still. So do you think objectivity exists in media at all? Or do you think everything is always subjective?
samanthaschaitberger
samanthaschaitberger

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-09-08

http://www.myspace.com/feellikefame

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum