Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Them Crooked Vultures' final released

2 posters

Go down

'Them Crooked Vultures' final released Empty 'Them Crooked Vultures' final released

Post by bdavidow1 Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 am

As of November 17th (so this is a little late on that) Them Crooked Vultures released their debut self-titled album. For those of you who don't know who they are, Them Crooked Vultures is, what would be considered, a rock n' roll super trio. The trio includes singer, composer, guitarist, drummer Josh Homme (a.k.a. Baby Duck mostly known as the back bone of Queens of the Stone Age as well as the drummer for Eagles of Death Metal and guitarist for the legendary desert rock band Kyuss), John Paul Jones (The bassist and keyboard player from Led Zepplin, need I say more...), and Dave Grohl (singer/songwriter, guitarist, and drummer... mostly known for his part in Nirvana and creating the more than well known Foo Fighters). They kept this album hush-hush for a long while and went on tour previously. Brodi (singer/guitarist of The Distillers and wife of Josh Homme) was previously asked about the album. Brodi reported, "I'm not at liberty to talk about it [...] but I think [the project] is pretty fucking amazing. Just beats and sounds like you’ve never heard before." Since the albums release it is obvious that she was not just "BSing". The 13 tracks are all have their unique nuances, however the mix of the three composers influence is evident from their previous work. John Paul Jones contributes his heavy, driving bass parts as well as rhythm, while Josh Homme is riffing on his groove oriented dissonance that he is known best for. Josh sings lead on most of the tracks, and the combination of his rythm parts mixed with John Paul Jones' bass is very reminiscent of Zepplin. Dave Grohl certainly has his influence on the composition of the guitar work and also has some signature singing/ growling to add to the mix. Grohl has added alot of his heavy rock tom work that he used when filling in for Joey Castillo on Queens of The Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf. The album starts out hard hitting with "No One Loves Me and Neither Do I," which ends with one of the heaviest blues-rock outros out there. Track 8 "Reptiles" is a beautiful composition to say the least as it captures a blues-riff-rock feel mixed with a sound that is very reminiscient of the classic Zepplin-esq "Dancing Days" tone. Track 9 "Interlude with Ludes" is a great, almost Beatle-esq, darkly trippy tune that will get you seeing patterns on the wall in no time. Over all its worth a listen.
bdavidow1
bdavidow1

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

'Them Crooked Vultures' final released Empty Re: 'Them Crooked Vultures' final released

Post by Remi Studer Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:36 pm

I don't really agree with you, I've listened to the album and I've been disapointed. For me its sounds a lot, if not too much, like Queens of the stone age. It is not a bad album, most of the songs are great but I just think it could have been much better with those three great musicans.

Remi Studer

Registration date : 2009-09-03

Back to top Go down

'Them Crooked Vultures' final released Empty Re: 'Them Crooked Vultures' final released

Post by bdavidow1 Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 am

I agree with the Queens argument. However, Queens of the Stone Age actually uses a lot of Zepplin sounding tones in their own music. However this album only resembles Era Vulgaris at best besides Homme crooning on most of the tunes. The earlier QOTSA is much heavier and much less blues oriented. The self-titled cd was very raw and recorded very dry and certainly did not have a retro feel to it. Radio R was again heavy as hell and a mixture of hard rock, cocaine, and god knows what else. The Vultures album has picked up some of the sound that came much later.
I did expect something different than what the group produced as well. Yet, as I already stated, I thought it was certainly a unique collaboration and I'm not actually sure what I was looking for or hoped to be. So, from that standpoint I've kinda just taken it for what it is. The depravity of the music industry, certainly hasn't helped any either. To get an album that doesn't outright suck is, which is almost sad to say, a gift in itself.
bdavidow1
bdavidow1

Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down