Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twiggy/Mods

5 posters

Go down

Twiggy/Mods Empty Twiggy/Mods

Post by emily Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:15 pm

emily
emily

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Twiggy/Mods Empty Re: Twiggy/Mods

Post by J5cAi Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:24 am

When you said mod culture in class, my initial reaction was "Mod culture? Does she mean (video-game) console modding? PC modding? Mod(ifying) your guitar's shell? What? She's talking nonsense, she must be a witch."

Heath had the same idea (probably not the last one though) because we both had the same confused expression on our faces. The blurb-word mod has different connotations for me than it does for you, much like a thumbs-up means something VERY different in Russia than it does here.

Because of the different subcultures we fetishize our language takes on different meanings. You can see evidence on a broader scale regionally by the patois that different regions of the US use. The classic example: a soda drink down here is a "coke" regardless of what brand it really is; not a pop, not a soda, and never Coca-Cola. Anyone who takes the time to pronounce four syllables when a one-syllable word can be used is obviously a foreigner.

This isn't some extreme sticking point, like it could be elsewhere. Case: in the former Yugoslavia whether you pronounced it "Kosovar" or "Kosovo" could get you beheaded depending on where you were or who you were around.

However, is our language, because of subcultures, becoming Balkanized? Respond.

Oh, Twiggy's hot. With her it wasn't her physical appearance so much as her personality; her gravitas, for lack of a better word. It's the same with Marilyn Monroe. Monroe was the uber-blonde - all blonde stereotypes and sex appeal stem from the root of MM. I think Twiggy did the same thing with quirky chick chic. She was, in essence, the anti-Monroe. If Twiggy hadn't been a cultural and commercial success I don't think Whendon would have gotten the green-light for Buffy, which would have negated the existence of Juno.

Maybe I'm completely off. Maybe I've been watching Terminator too much and drawing causality chains that don't exist. Whatever. It's something to do.

J5cAi

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by rwilliams94 Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Im admitedly underexposed to Twiggy. But in the above picture...Twiggy is not hot. Twiggy looks like a emaciated 12 year old in a sack.

rwilliams94

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by rook417 Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:06 pm

I agree. Twiggy is by no means pretty in that picture.

rook417

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:20 pm

I think Twiggy is more girl-hot than guy-hot.
emily
emily

Back to top Go down

Post by J5cAi Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Girl-hot? As in she's more attractive to women than she would be to men?

J5cAi

Back to top Go down

Post by heathnortham Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:04 pm

I have held off until now but I think Twiggy is downright cute in this pic.
heathnortham
heathnortham

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-29

https://facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Fair Tao Clitus wrote:Girl-hot? As in she's more attractive to women than she would be to men?

I think so.
emily
emily

Back to top Go down

Post by J5cAi Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

What are you basing that assertion on? I would say there is an equal number of men who find the Twiggy look (for lack of a better descriptor) as attractive if not more so than the conventional standard of female beauty. Or woman beauty. Whichever one is the appropriate term in this context.

For that matter, why do chicks think Angelie Jolie is so fuckable? I mean, I find her to be sexy myself, but what's it about her that makes devotchka's instanta-dykes than any other bombshell?

J5cAi

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:26 pm

I don't know. I'm not into Angelina Jolie.

I just find that generally women appreciate the emaciated model look more than men.

Or that's what Tyra Banks tells me anyway. Wink
emily
emily

Back to top Go down

Post by rwilliams94 Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm

It seems clear why that might be true.

When a guy says he finds a girl sexually attractive it is most likely because the girl closely resembles his inward construction of an ideal sexual partner.

Women, most(not all) of them presumably lacking an inward construction of an ideal female sexual partner, would say that a girl is attractive if said girl possesses those qualities that are supposed to be generally desirable in a woman and generally attractive to men (not a specific man but men in general). These characteristics that stereotypically enviable might be a clear complexion, a slim frame, a generally symmetrical face etc. Things that women might be jealous of if they lack, due to socially engrained ideas of what beauty is.

A clearer example of what Im trying to communicate is the fact that Twiggy makes no attempt to look alluring, but instead looks like she has an entirely inflated sense of self-worth. Hence women are jealous and men are unattracted. If she looked alluring men would be attracted and women would call her a skank.

I would also be inclined to say men find angelina much more attractive then the average women, with the exception of dykes, like you mentioned. Who would in theory be using the same rating system as the men anyway, an inwardly constructed idea of an ideal sexual partner

rwilliams94

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum