Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ugly Truth

4 posters

Go down

The Ugly Truth Empty The Ugly Truth

Post by dmanrique Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Even though we refuse to admit it, most of our parents have a facebook.... At least my mom does and its very irritating when I get a text at 8am asking me who "Jane Doe" is and why she had to write "profanity" on my wall, or asking me to delete my status because she doesn't find it appropiate. So what if I had a bad day and choose to share it with the cyber world? I personally love the bumper sticker app, and she gets on my case everytime I post one that doesn't agree with her. Anyhow, I believe that parents get facebook because they feel like they are losing control over their children and specially if they are far away from home. This has forced us, even in our twenties, being legal to drink and all; to have to explain ourselves for our actions and the parties we attend. Let's face it, we no longer hold "the benefit of the doubt".

Here's a video from TheOnion.com which illustrates the newly found obsession of parents and the cyber network world. Knock yourselves out!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/facebook_twitter_revolutionizing?utm_source=a-section

[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]
dmanrique
dmanrique

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

The Ugly Truth Empty Re: The Ugly Truth

Post by ChrisJNelson Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

It is pretty strange having parents/other older people on facebook. Thank god for the privacy settings and limited profiles, that way I can add people like a friend's crazy-religious mom without having to censor myself. I just set it so she can't see anything I do.

I like that Verizon commercial with daughter telling her mom not to write "I Love You" all over her wall, and the dad tweeting "I'm sitting on the patio..."

--
Chris J. Nelson
ChrisJNelson
ChrisJNelson

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.phins-spotlight.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliarn Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 am

Nice post. This is an urgent topic, sadly. My parents are just past the curve of the computer age; my mom won't even use a calculator. But my in-laws and several of my aunts are facebook users, perhaps even facebook stalkers, so I have had to rethink my online presence. Quite annoying. But theoretically interesting at least.
Juliarn
Juliarn
Admin

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by samanthaschaitberger Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 pm

I hate facebook for this reason! It's lurk central. Facebook is the reason my parents found out about my tattoos (which I wasn't trying to hide from them but I wanted to show them in person), how they find out who I'm dating, what I'm doing, etc. Which is exactly why I have since deleted every family member except my sister and put my facebook on lockdown. It's not even like I'm doing anything "bad" but if someone leaves a comment on my facebook joking about something and using a curse word, my mom automatically is like "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?". Technology has it's pros and cons for sure. Aside from worrying about your family, you've now got to make sure your facebooks/myspaces/blogs are appropriate for co-workers, bosses, and future employers. SO ANNOYING. However, it seems like it's almost impossible to communicate with anyone these days if you don't have a facebook. Gotta love/hate the internet!
samanthaschaitberger
samanthaschaitberger

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-09-08

http://www.myspace.com/feellikefame

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisJNelson Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Man, facebook was so much better when it was just for college students and you had to have a college email to sign up. Then they decided (in an evil scheme to make more money!) to become myspace, allowing everyone and hosting all kinds of retarded apps.

Juliarn wrote:Nice post. This is an urgent topic, sadly. My parents are just past the curve of the computer age; my mom won't even use a calculator. But my in-laws and several of my aunts are facebook users, perhaps even facebook stalkers, so I have had to rethink my online presence. Quite annoying. But theoretically interesting at least.

Yeah my grandpa won't carry around a cell phone just for 911 purposes. He doesn't even need phone service to do that, but he still refuses.
ChrisJNelson
ChrisJNelson

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.phins-spotlight.com/

Back to top Go down

The Ugly Truth Empty soo true!

Post by dmanrique Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 pm

I couldnt agree more with all of your input. The internet is a sneaky tool for epople to use agaisnt you, but it also works for you. I have come so close to deleting my account several times, but the networking advantages stop me. I wonder what's going to be next after the facebook frenzy?
dmanrique
dmanrique

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down