Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Emote

+2
rook417
J5cAi
6 posters

Go down

I Have No Mouth and I Must Emote Empty I Have No Mouth and I Must Emote

Post by J5cAi Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:54 am

We keep going off on tangents in class about relevent commodities (to use Willis' term) in our pop culture zeitgeist (imagine that); they take up a lot of class time but they're never really resolved because we have to go back to the outline of discussion in the syllabus.

I was thinking about the Juno question on the drive home. The pro-Juno camp makes a valid point: you can't judge a movie unless you've seen it. I'm not disputing that. If I was to rate Juno purely on its merits, I would probably give it a B (or a 3/5 or a one-and-twelve-ninteeth-thumbs-up or whatever scale you want to use) because -

1) the plot doesn't interest me that much.
2) if I wanted to see a pretty girl talk fast I would watch Gilmore Girls.

Of course, I haven't seen the movie. Maybe once I see it I'll get into the plot more. Here's the real issue I have with Juno: its fandom. God, the fandom ticks me off.

You can try and argue all you want that the foolishness of a commodity's fandom shouldn't be a reflection on the commodity itself, but come on. Since the Internet really took off in '96-'97, there's no real separating a commodity and its fandom. Just look at Star Wars. Can you honestly, objectively look at Star Wars and not take into account the NEEEEERD RAAAAAGE of its fandom?

It's not just Juno. Fandom's ruined Donnie Darko for me too, among other things.

My brain's charging down so I'll end this rant here before it reaches internet manifesto levels of angst. Response?

J5cAi

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

I Have No Mouth and I Must Emote Empty Re: I Have No Mouth and I Must Emote

Post by J5cAi Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:00 am

Oh, Johnny Depp. I can't watch his stuff anymore thank you very much Pirates of the Carribbean Goatse Aftermath

J5cAi

Back to top Go down

Post by rook417 Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:25 pm

Thats a shame because Sweeny Todd was a great film. I also like Johnny Depp as a character actor so I'm biased I guess. Oh and I saw the internet girlfriend kid in the cafeteria right after class.

rook417

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by heathnortham Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:21 pm

Fandom does have the ability the ruin the experience of a film but the overall quality? I disagree. I am a fan of Pink Floyd and didn't become one until high school because prior to that I listened to Star 94 and, I dunno, MC Hammer or something. However, there are a ton of Floyd fans. Does that make them any less talented? I mean what about The Beatles? Wether you want to face it or not we are ALL effected by them because they had such a HUGE impact on the musical world. Does that make them less good(?) because of the fandom? I submit that it DOES NOT! Haha, not outraged just semi quoting Brian Reagan. Anywho, I have started opening up in class which is great for me because I can get pretty defensive about the stuff I like and the things I view as important and all of you seem to be the same way so I look forward to some fun and heated debates!
heathnortham
heathnortham

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-29

https://facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:40 pm

All I wanted to say in response to this is: I agree. Sweeny Todd is really amazing. I actually saw it twice. It was surprisingly good.
I might have something more relevant to say later, but I just spent three hours reading about how/why computers can have minds/consciousness. And now my brain is fried.
emily
emily

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliarn Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 pm

I submit that it DOES NOT! Haha, not outraged just semi quoting Brian Reagan.

I heart Brian reagan.

TAKE LUCK!
Juliarn
Juliarn
Admin

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Britneys_Lawyer Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:27 am

Sweeny Todd was great, mild rip off of Edward Scissorhands and sleepy hollow. My only complaint about it was that it was the next harry potter movie. i love helena bonhem carter, alan rickman, and the guy who plays wormtail in the movies, but what on earth was tim burton thinking putting them all together. and as for johnny depp: blow is definitely the highlight of his carrer, though i like most of his other films as well. we should go crash at his island in the carribean sometime.
Britneys_Lawyer
Britneys_Lawyer

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by J5cAi Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:35 pm

I would say that Senor Deppo has great acting chops but he "sold out," but that's just a smoke screen because I am jealous I can't be as pretty as him.

Yeah, I second Sweeny Todd = Edward Scissorhands. A quirky visually bizarre movie about a sociopathic but misunderstood pretty porcelin doll-man-child-thing who goes around harming people with scissors in his hands?

J5cAi

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Okay, but to be fair, Stephen Sondheim wrote Sweeney Todd in the late 70's, so Sweeney Todd was around before Edward Scissorhands.
emily
emily

Back to top Go down

Post by Britneys_Lawyer Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Dont' get me wrong, i love stephen sondheim, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is my favorite play and one of my favorite movies, but cinematography wise, Sweeny Todd was a complete steal of tim burton's earlier films, not that i disliked them nor sweeny todd, cause i liked them all
Britneys_Lawyer
Britneys_Lawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by J5cAi Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:43 pm

emily wrote:Okay, but to be fair, Stephen Sondheim wrote Sweeney Todd in the late 70's, so Sweeney Todd was around before Edward Scissorhands.

Touche.

J5cAi

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:27 pm

A Funny Thing Happened on The Way To The Forum! I love that one. I was in that play in high school!

Before you ask, yes, I played a prostitute.
emily
emily

Back to top Go down

Post by Britneys_Lawyer Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 am

Weren't all the girls in that play prostitutes? Well except for the mother, but she claims she entertained more than 200 officers at one time. Yeha i have seen that movie/play far too many times.
Britneys_Lawyer
Britneys_Lawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum