Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double standard for teen celebrities?

2 posters

Go down

Double standard for teen celebrities? Empty Double standard for teen celebrities?

Post by Seagreen Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 am

I read an article a few weeks back about the double standard Hollywood and even the larger society seems to have over acceptable behavior for male and female teenage stars. Miley Cyrus received a large amount of backlash for seemingly posing nude in Vanity Fair. In actuality she had a shirt beneath her sheet. Yet Taylor Lautner who is also underage has posed shirtless for promotional pictures and is shirtless for a fair amount of the upcoming film New Moon. If the argument is that Miley's pictures are too sexual for a child, then isn't it the same for Taylor?

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-taylor-lautner-pics.html

Seagreen

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-09-03

Back to top Go down

Double standard for teen celebrities? Empty Re: Double standard for teen celebrities?

Post by incognito Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:17 pm

I agree but I do think there's a couple of key differences that lend themselves to the double standard:

1) Miley's a product of Disney, who have built themselves as THE kid friendly corporation of all time, so of course the Vanity Fair (and all the pictures that she keeps leaking from her camera) will cause a stir.

2) Taylor's fame comes from a franchise that succeeds by providing romantic fantasies to women and teenagers. So even though I think him displaying his spray on abs every chance he gets is pretty much the opposite of sexy, he's doing what the studio wants him to, and the Twilight Moms eat it up.

I think in our society that it's deemed worse to be a dirty old man than a cougar or whatever.

incognito

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down