Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Kingdom

2 posters

Go down

The Kingdom Empty The Kingdom

Post by J5cAi Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:27 pm

I saw it at a seedy dollar theater with two good friends - one's Hindu and the other's Japanese. We left with very different opinions on what the message was. My Hindu friend was disappointed, his exact words were "Oh my god, I just gave the CIA and the army my money. This was a total 'Yeah we're gonna go over there and kick ass because we're AMERICA' propaganda."

I, on the other hand, had the very opposite reaction - It wasn't a story framed around Americans good Muslims bad fuck yeah machine guns, it was post 9/11 detective fiction. I didn't read into any jingoistic subplot, if there even was one.

The Japanezee of course didn't proffer his opinion. Inscrutible Asiatic bastard.

I wanted to bring this movie up because the opening title sequence is, on pure aesthetics, the cleverest and sharpest looking one I've seen in a long time. I really like it when movies work in credits or titles in a creative way that meshes it with the movie, see for yourself:

J5cAi

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

The Kingdom Empty Re: The Kingdom

Post by heathnortham Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:46 pm

Pretty much what I got from The Kingdom was this: the Americans and the Muslims are striving towards the same goal. I think this because at the end it is revealed that what Jamie Foxx told Jennifer Garner was the same thing that the main terrorist told his granddaughter(son?). I do not agree with what I think the message is but still a very well done film.
heathnortham
heathnortham

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-29

https://facebook.com

Back to top Go down