Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FINAL EXAM

3 posters

Go down

FINAL EXAM Empty FINAL EXAM

Post by Juliarn Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Final exam. I'm attaching it and pasting it into the text of the email and posting it on the forum. Note the last sentence (I bolded it in the word doc). We didn't discuss it in class, but I'm adding it now.
ENG 2160 Spring 2008
Final Exam

Choose three questions below and answer them in essay format (roughly 2 pages per question, typed, double-spaced, and following MLA conventions). You may choose one of the three questions and use three YouTube sources in lieu of the readings on the syllabus. Be advised that you must attach full citations so that I can find and peruse your sources if you choose that option. And if you are very brave, you may instead make a video of roughly 3-5 minutes to answer one of the questions (but this will take the place of using YouTube videos as sources). You will be evaluated on your engagement with the ideas and authors we have discussed this semester regardless of the format you choose. You must substantially address at least six different texts from the class, regardless of the questions you choose.

1. Using at least three texts from our syllabus, provide an extended definition of “popular culture”. You might consider what makes it different (or is it different?) from mass culture, folk culture, and high culture when constructing your response.
2. How is Marx’s development/discussion of consumerism/commodity fetishism still relevant to today’s cultural zeitgeist? Be sure to engage Marx’s text directly as well as two other texts from the syllabus.
3. Discuss subcultures in terms of either issues of class or politics (or both) using three texts from our syllabus. You might consider the following questions as a way in to your discussion: what constitutes a subculture? Is it different from fan groups?
4. Using at least three texts from our syllabus, argue whether or not there are substantial differences between folk art/culture and popular culture.
5. Using at least three texts from our syllabus, discuss the ways recent cultural criticism has brought to light the tendency to normalize the white male (WASP) (Manocentric Manocracy (Chen)). Remember, you can take a stronger gender approach, a stronger race/ethnicity approach, or a healthy mix of both.
6. Adorno argues that popular culture is a direct result (and little more than) manipulation of the masses by the culture industry. Using at least three texts from our syllabus, support or refute this assertion.
Juliarn
Juliarn
Admin

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

FINAL EXAM Empty Re: FINAL EXAM

Post by heathnortham Mon May 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Hooray, it is noon thirty seven and I have one question down!
heathnortham
heathnortham

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-29

https://facebook.com

Back to top Go down

FINAL EXAM Empty Re: FINAL EXAM

Post by J5cAi Mon May 05, 2008 2:39 pm

OMFG I CANNOT DO THIS

J5cAi

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-01-19