Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moment Of Truth

4 posters

Go down

Moment Of Truth Empty Moment Of Truth

Post by Juliarn Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:41 pm

So after trashing the concept of the new psychologically taxing game show on Fox, Moment of Truth, I decided to give it a glance so that I would have the ethos to trash it. It is every bit as abhorrent as I imagined. People willingly allow complete strangers to delve very deeply into their lives in front of their families and friends and while hooked to a polygraph machine all for the *hope* of 500k. Come on, not even a cool mill? Apparently, well at least according to Wikipedia, the American version is based on a Colombian television series, which was canceled after a woman confessed to hiring someone to kill her husband. Of course, the cynic in me says that these people (as well as their families and friends) are actors and we aren't seeing any truth at all. Still the concept of "commodifying our truth," as my roommate put it, unifying in perfect harmony everything we perhaps *should* have learned from Marx and Freud (alas, we haven't directly discussed Freud yet, but we will), is utterly repulsive to me. And yet, there is something addictive about it. So what's up with all that? Have any of you seen it? (Wednesday nights at 9:00 (I think)).
Juliarn
Juliarn
Admin

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Moment Of Truth Empty Re: Moment Of Truth

Post by heathnortham Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:26 pm

It is interesting. It is on right after Idol so I just stay tuned in. I hate the dramatic buildup but I think if the people are willing to sell their secrets then more power to them.
heathnortham
heathnortham

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-29

https://facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J5cAi Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:25 am

Game shows are the raw, nascent forerunners of reality-TV. It was inevitable that "Is that your final answer?" would become "Are you fucking little boys?"

Parity!

J5cAi

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by heathnortham Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 pm

The most shocking episode EVER is on tonight!!!
heathnortham
heathnortham

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-29

https://facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rwilliams94 Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Juliarn wrote:People willingly allow complete strangers to delve very deeply into their lives in front of their families and friends and while hooked to a polygraph machine all for the *hope* of 500k. Come on, not even a cool mill?

I saw part of an episode over the break, and it occurs to me that once things start going down-hill they are cruelly spurred on by the fact that they really want *some* sort of compensation in return for the shameful situation that they find themselves in, and so decide to continue without giving much if any consideration to exactly how bad it might get.

So some of those people manage to destroy all of their close relationships....with about a bajillion witness on national tv. Way to kill about a million birds with one stone. Someone should do a study on the depression and/or suicide rates of ex-contestants as their lives go on.

rwilliams94

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down