Presented in Glorious EXTRA-COLOR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politically Correctness during the holidays.

3 posters

Go down

Politically Correctness during the holidays. Empty Politically Correctness during the holidays.

Post by samanthaschaitberger Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:57 pm

How do you guys feel about companies trying to be "politically correct" during the holidays (aka not saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS" and saying "Happy Holidays" instead)? I feel like while it's admirable to include every holiday from every religion during the holiday season, I feel like most companies end up contradicting themselves by saying they welcome all holiday celebrations while primarily endorsing christmas. This can easily be seen at the mall where you can get a photo with Santa, buy Christmas decorations from speciality stores, and look at the huge Christmas tree displays in Macys. Also, we have a tree lighting downtown. I know the majority of Americans celebrate Christmas as do I but I wish there wasn't a need to make Christmas such a big deal. I remember having Jewish friends in high school who would have to miss school for Hannuakuh because it didn't coincide with our winter break. Even though this usually was an excused absence, it still feels sort of wrong. Regardless, I'm super excited about the month break coming up. Are you guys doing anything fun?! I'm going on a cruise and then to Richmond. SO EXCITED!
samanthaschaitberger
samanthaschaitberger

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-09-08

http://www.myspace.com/feellikefame

Back to top Go down

Politically Correctness during the holidays. Empty Re: Politically Correctness during the holidays.

Post by missyrara Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Well I work retail and I know that personally I have a small problem with not being able to say Merry Christmas but I've learned in this business you really have to be open. I mean, there are so many differently cultured people that come in and out of my job that I would kind of feel embarassed yelling Merry Christmas at them when they don't even celebrate that particular holiday. I've gotten accustomed to it and the more people I meet from different areas in the world, the more I understand. But you are definitely correct in how retail really contradicts itself with the whole holiday thing (along with many other things...not just holidays.) LoL

missyrara

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Back to top Go down

Politically Correctness during the holidays. Empty Re: Politically Correctness during the holidays.

Post by aatwell3 Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:30 pm

I think it is a tad contradictory but I can see why they do it. People are so sensitive nowadays so people have to be very careful with what they say because they don't want some organization on necks.
aatwell3
aatwell3

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down